- David Fulmer Named Winner of the 2013 Carlos Surinach Commission
- BMI Foundation Awards 8th Annual Woody Guthrie Fellowships
- 15th Annual John Lennon Scholarship Winners Announced
- 61st Annual BMI Student Composer Awards Competition Underway
- David F. Bills, Richard A. Garza, and Samantha Cox Elected as Officers of BMI Foundation, Inc.
- Porfirio Piña Elected President of Board of BMI Foundation, Inc.
- BMI Student Composer Awards
- Boudleaux Bryant Commissions
- Carlos Surinach Commissions
- Charlie Parker Jazz Composition Prize
- Evelyn Buckstein Scholarship
- General Grants
- Harriette Schiff Roth Scholarship
- Jean Pratt Scholarship
- Jerry Bock Musical Theatre Award
- Jerry Harrington Musical Theatre Awards
- John Lennon Scholarships
- Lionel Newman Conducting Scholarship
- Milton Adolphus Award
- peermusic Latin Scholarship
- Robert Sherman Scholarship
- Theodora Zavin Scholarship
- Un Canto al Cambio Scholarship
- Women’s Music Commission
- Woody Guthrie Fellowship Program
BMI Foundation, Inc.
BMI Foundation, Inc.
7 World Trade Center
250 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007-0030
Lionel Newman Conducting Scholarship
for young classical conductors
The Lionel Newman Conducting Scholarship gives young conductors the opportunity to work for a three-year period with the Los Angeles Young Musicians Foundation Debut Orchestra. This includes not only the opportunity to work with well-known conductors but to conduct works independently.
Lionel Newman was a prolific, versatile composer who began his career as Mae West’s piano accompanist before joining 20th Century-Fox as a rehearsal pianist in 1943. Newman stayed with Fox for more than 40 years, working in various capacities on over 250 films. He wrote the score for Elvis Presley’s first film, “Love Me Tender” (1956), and won an Academy Award for the Barbara Streisand vehicle, “Hello, Dolly!” (1969).
Former recipients of this scholarship (and their current conducting posts) include:
Jung Ho Pak (Music Director, New Haven Symphony and San Diego Symphony)
Daniel Hege (Music Director, Syracuse Symphony)
Lara Webber (Associate, Baltimore Symphony)
Bundit Urgrangsee (Associate, Charleston Symphony)
Joana Carneiro (Music Director, Young Musicians Foundation Debut Orchestra)
For additional information, please contact:
Young Musicians Foundation
195 South Beverly Drive, Suite 414
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
or see: http://www.ymf.org/