- David Fulmer Named Winner of the 2013 Carlos Surinach Commission
- BMI Foundation Awards 8th Annual Woody Guthrie Fellowships
- 15th Annual John Lennon Scholarship Winners Announced
- 61st Annual BMI Student Composer Awards Competition Underway
- David F. Bills, Richard A. Garza, and Samantha Cox Elected as Officers of BMI Foundation, Inc.
- Porfirio Piña Elected President of Board of BMI Foundation, Inc.
- BMI Student Composer Awards
- Boudleaux Bryant Commissions
- Carlos Surinach Commissions
- Charlie Parker Jazz Composition Prize
- Evelyn Buckstein Scholarship
- General Grants
- Harriette Schiff Roth Scholarship
- Jean Pratt Scholarship
- Jerry Bock Musical Theatre Award
- Jerry Harrington Musical Theatre Awards
- John Lennon Scholarships
- Lionel Newman Conducting Scholarship
- Milton Adolphus Award
- peermusic Latin Scholarship
- Robert Sherman Scholarship
- Theodora Zavin Scholarship
- Un Canto al Cambio Scholarship
- Women’s Music Commission
- Woody Guthrie Fellowship Program
BMI Foundation, Inc.
BMI Foundation, Inc.
7 World Trade Center
250 Greenwich Street
New York, NY 10007-0030
Porfirio Piña Elected President of Board of BMI Foundation, Inc.
Porfirio Piña has been elected President of the Board of Directors of the BMI Foundation, Inc., a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to encouraging the creation, performance and study of music. Formed by BMI employees in 1985, the organization sponsors a variety of programs designed to support music education, encourage talented young musicians in all genres of music, and to promote music in communities all across America.
The board voted unanimously to appoint Piña, who replaces Ralph N. Jackson as the third President in the 27-year history of the BMI Foundation.
“Porfirio is a natural and inspiring leader with great passion for music and a truly generous spirit,” said outgoing President Ralph Jackson. “The board has every confidence that he is the perfect person to lead the Foundation to great new successes in the future.”
Piña is currently Senior Director, Writer/Publisher Relations for Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). He joined BMI’s Writer/Publisher Relations department in March 2005 after working in various positions in music publishing, marketing and promotions, including as Director of Sales & Marketing for independent label Latino Music (Sony Music) and Product Manager for Palm Pictures. He was also President and Co-Owner of two artist management and music production companies, Double P Music and PNP Productions and President and Co-Owner of Ritmo Loco Musisc Publishing. He attended both MTI Business School and Business Automation School in New York. Piña serves on the Board of Directors of The Recording Academy NY Chapter and is also Director of the BMI Foundation’s peermusic Latin Scholarship, a national competition for young Latin songwriters and composers. Now in its tenth year, the $5,000 scholarship competition is open to college students in the U.S. and Puerto Rico, and seeks to identify and reward young talent in the Latin genre.
The BMI Foundation, Inc. is supported by tax-deductible donations from songwriters, composers and publishers, BMI employees and members of the public with a special interest in music. More information about the BMI Foundation is available at www.bmifoundation.org.